Thursday, June 13, 2013

Dawson's Birth Story Part 1

Welcome to the world Dawson Job Little!
8lb. 3oz.  20 3/4 inches
Mommy and Daddy love you beyond what words can describe!
 
The day has come (where I have a time) to write Dawson's birth story on my blog.  At my 39 week appointment I just knew I would be progressed...I knew that any day now this baby was coming!  I had been having Braxton hicks 8-10 minutes apart for days and had felt just so blah.  I got to the doctors office telling myself not to expect anything, but in my mind I just knew that I had some type of labor progression, considering I was 4 days from my due date.  Well my midwife came in and did the normal routine...heartbeat...weight...blood pressure...and finally the big moment checking my progress.  She had asked if I had any contractions or cramping and I excitedly said yes several!  She said great that is what should be causing you to efface and dilate.  Well after she checked she had a puzzled look on her face.  I thought oh no...what?  She said wow you have no progression whatsoever, no dilating, no effacement....NOTHING!  I knew I still had a few days, but I was dreading that overdue appointment to talk about induction.  After we chatted a while she brought it up and I said well at this point whatever is best and necessary.  I had already been scheduled for the next week with my least favorite doctor.  He was the last person I wanted inducing me because he just is not good at explaining things on my level.  I love my midwife so I openly told her how I felt about that appointment.  She then said well I can take you if you want...in fact I do prefer you to come back in 5 days and have all of the routine over due testing done.  She was to measure the baby via ultrasound, do a non-stress test, and measure my amniotic fluid to make sure little man was still thriving. After she mentioned the appointment date she said that she was on call the next day and would slide me in for induction on her hospital day!  I left my appointment nervous, yet so excited about how everything was working out! 
 
Brent and I relaxed for the next few days knowing that this was it....our final weekend before our lives would change forever.  We enjoyed time with friends, we went to church on my due date and then went to our favorite Mexican restaurant and krispy kreme MMMM!  After that we rented a movie and enjoyed our "due date" date night!  I went to bed that night feeling completely normal...not a labor sign in the world.  My Braxton hicks had actually slowed down and I was really feeling quite good.  We decided since Brent had to work and I had my appointment that we would head to bed about our normal time and get some rest knowing that I would probably be induced on Tuesday.  I went to bed and slept great until about 2 a.m.  I kind of  felt restless and just had some back pain which has been normal throughout my pregnancy.  I got up several times and stretched and did not feel in pain in any way.  Over the next couple of hours I felt some light cramping but brushed it off because it wasn't painful.  Finally around 4:45 a.m.  I started feeling a little tightness in my stomach that was a tad weird.  I laid in bed until about 5 a.m. and decided I would go to the restroom.  As soon as I stood up to go to the bathroom....there it was....GUSH...I mean no denying what happened, my water had definitely broken.  I was so excited, then nervous, then trying to figure out what to do....I woke Brent up flinging the door open shouting MY WATER BROKE!!! I was excited....no tests...no induction...and only 1 day overdue!  WOOHOO!!!  We gathered our thoughts and got our plan.  I called my doctor who said to get to the hospital as soon as we were totally packed for the few days we would be there. 
I told Brent I knew that when your water breaks there is a 24 hour window before a C-section is necessary.  Also I had tested positive for Group B Strep which is very common in pregnant women.  I knew that as soon as we got there I would be hooked up to penicillin.  We probably spent 30 minutes laughing, packing, getting excited, and then me getting a tad nervous! 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment